Saturday, February 22, 2014

DIY Burlap table runner

I've wanted a table runner for our small sofa table for a while now, and I love burlap, and I love the popular monogram trend. So why not make my own monogrammed burlap table runner?  
I started by creating my monogram stencil on the Cameo, I used a scrap piece of vinyl. I measured out a length of burlap that's about 6" longer than the actual table, so there would be a small amount of overhang on each side. Using transfer tape, I adhered the stencil to the burlap. Be patient, sticky vinyl on burlap can be tricky, go slowly when pulling the transfer tape off!  I used a credit card to help hold the smaller pieces (like the centers of the B) in place as I gently pulled the tape off. I put down some paper on the table to protect the surface since burlap is an open weave, the paint will go through. 
Next, I got out my trusty black acrylic craft paint, and a sponge, yes a regular old kitchen sponge. And, I started dabbing the paint on. Lightly at first, then I went back over it with a second coat. 
Once I finished the painting, I removed the stencil, and let it sit to dry.  I cut strips of black ribbon slightly longer than the width of my table runner to finish off the edges. 
Then, using Fabri-Tac, I glued the ribbon on each end, folding the ends of the ribbon over the edges of the burlap. 

Then, I just put it on the sofa table, and voila!  
I love how it turned out. 
You can't see the ribbon edges in this photo, which is fine, they were just meant to keep the burlap from unravelling. You can choose any number of methods to accomplish this for your own creation. 


I had so much fun making this. I hope it will inspire you to be creative too. If you create a burlap project, please share. 





No comments:

Post a Comment