Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pantry re-organized


Our panty has been a sore spot for me for a while now, I mean look at this mess!
I had made some attempts to organize it, but it just ended up a cluster-well you-know-what. The wire shelves just made organizing very difficult, the lip on the front cut out some height, so things had to be tilted to fit on the shelf if they were too tall, in a full pantry this is not ideal.  Plus, fining a way to use the neat stacking shelves or bins on these without them tilting or falling through the slats of the wire just wasn't working. Finally, I could take no more, so I talk the hubby int a trip to Home Depot for supplies.  We bought 2 8ft long pre-made white shelving boards and had them cut to size. We had on hand some small trim pieces to use as the braces for the shelves. 

Flirts, we took everything out, swept the floor and wiped down the walls, I wanted to paint the inside of the pantry, white just gets so dirty, and it's boring. I've been wanting to try my hand at stenciling and figured the inside of the pantry was the perfect pace, who'd see my mistakes, right?  
So, I painted all the walls in this tiny closet a light grey, left over from a bathroom project. Then, I used some Martha Stewart metallic craft paint and started stenciling. I lined the stencil up slightly below where each shelf would go. I loved how this turned out, even if you can hardly notice it when everything is put back in the pantry. But, it served its purpose, I got to practice stenciling!  
So, now everything has it's place, and I can find what I need when I need it. 
I had bought and labeled these canisters about a year ago.  After this project I added a few more canister and still need to re-label them. I'll share that with you in another post. 

This project took only a weekend, and the cost was approximately $50, which covered the cost of the shelves and a few organizational pieces like the white stacking shelf and the under-shelf basket for the bread. I love it!  The stacking can organizer I already had, but wasn't able to use to its full potential when trying to have it sit flush on the wire shelving. 




No comments:

Post a Comment