Saturday, May 31, 2014

DIY Bug repellent

So, as I mentioned in my post for my DIY citronella candles, I use several different things to keep pesky critters away from me so I can enjoy my outdoor space sans bug bites. Along with my candles, I usually use some sort of bug repellant spray-Off, Skintastic, you know the kind. But again, the stuff is expensive. So, why not make my own-I can SO do that!


This is what I used:

Spray bottle-any you have on hand will do

Microwaveable cup/bowl

Funnel

Water

Witch hazel

Citronella essential oil

Lemongrass essential oil

Lavender essential oil

In a glass Pyrex measuring cup, I boiled not quite a cup of water in the microwave, then using a funnel, I poured it into my spray bottle until it was half full. Then, I added witch hazel til the bottle was just shy of full. Then, I added the essential oils-approximately 20 drops citronella, 10 drops lavender and 5 drops lemongrass. Give it a shake, and you're good to go. 


Works as good as the store bought, and smells great!  You can use other essential oils, just domsome research on he properties of the different oils out there, and add any scent you like as well. 

Don't let pesky critters keep you from enjoying some quiet outdoor time, between DIY citronella candles, and DIY bug spray, you're all set to spend an evening bite-free. 



No comments:

Post a Comment