Tuesday, May 6, 2014

DIY Chevron wall

My oldest daughter recently moved into her new place-again. She wanted a chevron wall, so I spent some time on Pinterest looking at ideas and tutorials. I saw several people measured, marked, taped off the pattern on the wall.  That just seemed very time consuming to me. So, I started shopping for a large wall stencil with the pattern she wanted. 

I found this one on Royal Design Studio for $11.00!  It's a large one, think poster size, so we had to move it and match it up multiple times. It was really VERY easy! 



 Here are a few pics of the process.

Blank wall, drop cloth in place, ladder ready and of course my Diet Mt Dew! You can barely see it behind the red Solo cup, but there is a can of Martha Stewart stencil adhesive spray-if you attempt a project like this GET THIS STUFF !  It was a life saver. I also used painters tape, but the spray kept the stencil flat against the wall and helped prevent leaking. 


First one done!  Here, you will see 2 of the mistakes I made using this stencil. 1) across the top, those little triangles I didn't need. I wasn't thinking how they would look and they were there on the stencil just for matching up the pattern as we moved along. 2) when I started the second section, I didn't match the pattern correctly, see how the V pattern isn't right, and there is that small white line of blank space?  I should've overlapped the stencil pattern to match the V, which I corrected on the next section. Since I'd made these mistakes early, and since we didn't have any of the base color that was already on the wall, I had to continue in the same manner throughout the process. Oh well, she has little triangles at the top (and bottom, to keep it consistent) and she has one section all the way down the left hand side of the wall where the pattern is off. I'm still impressed with this being my first attempt at a project like this. 



Here I've completed the wall, and we're letting it dry overnight. This took me approximately 4 hours-it could've been quicker without my frequent breaks to feed my bad habit, and without the time I had to take off to go pick my younger daughter up from school. I do not recommend trying to do this alone. Although my daughter didn't paint much, she was very helpful in holding the stencil, or the paint while I climbed up and down the ladder. And, handing me paper towels as needed, and that was OFTEN!  Here are a few pics of the wall completed with her furniture and decor added. 




Some suggestions if you try this yourself:

-lots and lots of paper towels or wash cloths. Keep a couple of wet ones close by for your hands and for any drips. I found my hands were covered in paint because each time I placed the stencil I had to press it down to make sure it was flat. And, of course, since my hand had wet paint on them I inevitably got paint smudges where I didn't want them. 
-have a helper
-read and re-read the instructions that come with your stencil. I could've had a flawless wall had I done better at this. 
-accept imperfections!  I love it, she loves it-EVERYONE loves it, even with my mistakes! 
-if possible, have on hand some of the base paint color that will help cover any mistakes if you just HAVE to correct them. 

Now, go find a wall to paint and enjoy!  I'll be using this same stencil in out throne room eventually. 










No comments:

Post a Comment