Saturday, March 1, 2014

Diy dresser makeover




Our master bedroom is not large enough for the typical bedroom suite, with a bed, night stands, a short long dresser and a bureau. A couple of years ago my hubby and I bought some super cheap bureaus from WalMart, and while they fit the space, they served little purpose. For way too long now, we've lived out of laundry baskets because our drawers could hold no more clothing. So, after weeks of scouring Craigslist, thrift stores etc, I finally found 2 solid wood bureaus that were almost identical. These are perfect, although I do not have a "before" picture, I know-bad blogger!  

So anywho, my hubby brought these babies home and started sanding.  Then he used his paint sprayer to paint them black. 
In the pic below, you can see the sanded drawer fronts, and the bare frame.  I wanted the frame black and the drawers white, with some dark glaze. My first attempt at glazing furniture. I'm excited. 
After he sprayed the frames, he lined all the drawers up and painted them white. We used paint we already had on hand, just latex paint in a satin finish. After all the paint dried, I waxed, and waxed and waxed!  I used Minwax Paste Finishing wax.  

After waxing, I started the glazing process. This part was tedious, but the outcome is marvelous!  I used Behr Faux Glaze, mixed in some of the black paint we used on the frames.


  I gathered a large bowl of water and several washcloths (actually pieces of old dish towel I cut into small squares), and a paint brush. First, I brushed on the glaze, it looks dark at first, but you'll be wiping quite a bit of it off so don't worry.  Make sure you get plenty of the glaze into any nooks and crannies, and around any detailed part of your piece. 
After brushing the glaze on, I took a damp cloth and started wiping the entire surface of the drawer down, removing quite a bit of the glaze from the main surface, but leaving it pretty heavy in the crevices. You can see my workspace in the pic above, yes it's January and I'm in the garage, hence the space heater. I finished all 10 drawers in about 3 days, this of course was during the week when I had limited time to actually work on it. I wanted the hardware on each bureau to match, remember these were two ALMOST identical bureaus.  There are some slight differences and I wanted to downplay those by using matching hardware. So, after a trip to the Habitat Re-Store, I found enough of the same hardware to use on all the drawers. 
Brass just wasn't part of the plan, so these got a couple of coats of black paint, and turned out great!  

His:
Hers:

 And, below is a close up of the two of them, where you can see some of the differences, but in our room it's difficult to tell they're not a matched set. 
These turned out better than I, or my hubby expected!  I loved the antiqued look of the drawers. And, the best part is we're no longer living out of laundry baskets!  I foresee many furniture makeover projects in our future. 

Have you re-finished, or revised any furniture?  I'd love to see your projects! 





No comments:

Post a Comment