Tuesday, March 18, 2014

DIY Easter egg wreath





My Easter wreath...



Easter is coming soon, despite what the weather outside is like. I mean really, an ice storm in the middle of March?  In the south!!  

So, to try to get my mind on warmer thoughts, I decided to start my Easter decor. I wanted an Easter egg wreath, one that was cute, easy an above all CHEAP!  Since I was covering the whole thing in the plastic Easter eggs, I didn't see the point in buying a wreath form. I decided to cut a wreath form out of some cardboard.  So, back to the hoarded stash of old boxes in the garage I go!  I used the lid from our ash pail for the outer diameter, and a mixing bowl for the inner diameter, traced them and cut them out with a (very dull) box cutter.  Looking back, the width of the cardboard should've been just a bit, maybe 1/2 inch larger, meaning I should've used a smaller bowl to trace my inner diameter. It really needs to be about 2" wide to fit 2 rows of the eggs on the first layer, but I made do. Here's the wreath form along with my other supplies:


Next, I dumped all the eggs into my mixing bowl while the glue gun heated up. Then I just started gluing the eggs onto my wreath form:







I alternated the direction of the eggs to get a more uniform circle shape. There are small gaps where you can see the cardboard between the eggs, I'll cover those with Easter grass a little later. Here's a pic of the first row completed and where I started gluing the grass in the gaps:


I glued the eggs closely together so getting grass into the gaps required a thin tool, hence the old fork you see in the bottom left of the pic. Had I planned ahead, I would have first glued a layer of the grass around the wreath form BEFORE I started gluing on the eggs, so learn from my mistakes. ;-). Still, it wasn't difficult, so no worries. 

A close up of the grass in the gaps, just a dollup of glue, then smush the gras together making it as small as you can, only a few strands works, and the stuff it in the gap.  I used the fork to push it down into the glue really good. 


Then, I just kept gluing eggs on in a semi-pattern until it looked full enough. 


Then, I filled in the gaps again with some more grass.


The strands of the grass were extra long, so I did a little trimming, cutting it down to where it just barely stuck out, I didn't want it hanging out and down from the wreath. 

I'm not much of a bow maker, luckily I found this one pre-made at Michaels. 



It clashes with my red front door, but oh well. I still love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment