Friday, March 21, 2014

DIY gel air freshener



I use essential oils and fragrance oils around the house for a lot of different things. One of my favorites is country clothesline, which I use for my dryer balls. With 3 dogs, a teenage athlete and lots of cooking comes a smelly house!  I hate it when my house stinks!  Air fresheners are NOT cheap, so I thought I'd try a DIY option with some of the fragrance oils. So, using some gelatin, water, country clothesline fragrance oil and food coloring, I came up with these. 


I recycled containers, for the most part you should use glass because when you pour the mixture into the container it will be hot. I wanted to try this plastic container that was already designed for air freshened with a lid that has holes in it. So far, so good as you can see, no melting. Yet. The color came out a VERY deep purple, which is fine for me, but if you want a lighter color use minimal food coloring. I overdid it just a bit. 

Here is what I used:


The Country Clothesline oil is what I use for my dryer balls, so I had it on hand already. The food coloring I also had. I bought the large box of Knox gelatin at Walmart for $10, and used only 4 packets. 



Bring to boil 1 cup of water.  While waiting for the water to boil, pour about 30 drops of essential oil and a few drops of your choice of food coloring (if you want) into your container. When the water is boiling, whisk in 4 packets of gelatin until dissolved. Then add 1 cup of cold water and whisk. Next, pour into your containers carefully.  I actually poured from the pot into my measuring cup, then into my containers, just because the measuring cup has a wider mouth than my containers and it has the pour spout. Stir with a skewer or chopstick or Popsicle stick...something disposable. And, that's it. Let them cool and firm up, then place them in a closet or small room. These work best in smaller spaces. 


I put this one in our coat closet, and it works great!

No comments:

Post a Comment