Monday, March 31, 2014

DIY Simple Easter egg door hanger





As part of my seasonal decor, I usually have a small something that I hang on our coat closet door.  I like having that little bit of fun as I walk down the hall to the kitchen , or I can see whenever I have to get a jacket or scarf or whatever. 

April is my Easter month, so I made this cute little Easter egg hanger to put on the door. Using my Cameo, I cut an egg template for the hubby and he cut an egg out of some of our wood stash. 


This pic is me testing his cut against the template from the Cameo, he done real good!  (Yes, I'm aware that's not proper English, but it fits so oh well). 

Next I spray painted the egg white, I used 2 coats to make sure it was completely covered. 


Awhile back, I found this wonderful chevron painter's tape by Frogtape. This stuff is awesome! Expensive, but worth it. I got mine at Walmart for about $12. I've used it for 3 projects before this one, and still have half the roll left. So, still more expensive than regular painters tape, but saves a lot of time. 


I taped out my pattern on the egg, then used some acrylic craft paint to paint the chevron pattern. 


I wanted the hanger to be simple, so I used grey craft paint-well, actually I used grey and white. The grey I had was darker than what I wanted, so I lightened it up with some white. I used several coats letting each one dry completely. Next, I cut a design with my Cameo in black adhesive vinyl and put it on the egg using transfer tape. 


This pic is close up, so you can see its not perfect. There are a few places on the left side of the egg where the grey paint bled through and the grey acrylic paint is too thick along where the edges of the tape were. I blame this on my rugs to get this done and not taking my time to paint it carefully. I should've used lighter coats of the grey, or used a grey spray paint. But, I love it's "perfect imperfections", so I'm happy. 

Next the hubby drilled two holes in the top-and, yes, as I told him I should've asked him to drill the holes BEFORE I painted it, but oh well. I used two brads and a length of chain from a planter hanger kit to hang it. 


The brads fit and cover the holes perfectly, so my drill-after-painting poor decision turned out ok. I love how it turned out. Exactly what I was going for. Simple, classy, and FREE!  I had everything I needed to make this. I still may add a bow, but for now I'm enjoying the simple look. 












No comments:

Post a Comment