Wednesday, March 5, 2014

St. Patty's Day

So, here it is 12:30am, and I'm in my craft room listening to iTunes Radio, 80's station when Madonna's True Blue comes on....O M G!!  My favorite 80's song, hands down!  But, I digress. I'm actually in my craft room working on my St. Patricks day decor.  

First, I did 2 apothecary jars:

Nothing fancy, just some foam, glittered shamrocks, some moss covered balls and there you have it. I have 2 of these on my mantle.  (Please ignore the cable in the back, we got a new sectional which prompted the need to move our cable box, etc, and the hubby hasn't yet gotten around to re-routing/hiding the cords.)




Now, the fun part. I asked my hubby to cut me a large shamrock out of some really thin wood we had from a previous project. He did, and then he painted it green with some spray paint left over from Christmas. I cut him a template on my Silhouette Cameo, and he did his thing. 


Pretty damn good I think. 

Next, I wanted it covered in moss, so that's what I'm doing at midnight instead of sleeping. 


I bought this pack of moss from Michaels. While I love the look, this stuff is messy and it STINKS!  All the moss is on a thin plastic-type backing which is great because it keeps it together and makes it easier to work with than the loose moss. I turned the moss over and traced my shamrock on the back with a sharpie, and then cut my shamrock out of the moss. Easy peasy!  Then, I brushed tacky glue all over the green side of the wood shamrock and just laid the moss shamrock on top. Yep, folks, it's that simple. I pressed it down good all over, and I used my brush to dab some extra glue on a few spots where the moss was a little thin and just used some of the moss that fell off during the cutting process and stuck it on those semi-bare spots. Have to say I like the way it looks.





Dontcha just love the grocery store ad I used to protect my desk?!?  :-)

I made a burlap wreath awhile back, well I've made several. But, this one I wanted to be one that I could change embellishments for each season or holiday. So, using E6000 glue, I glued 2 clips to the back of the shamrock to attach to the burlap. Super simple, rustic St. Patrty's Day wreath. 


And, finally, I created this little print to put on the sofa table along with the jar of gold coin chocolates. 


Do you decorate for St. Patricks day?  I'd love to see your ideas!









No comments:

Post a Comment